HOW TO DISCOVER PURPOSE
The bible records in James 1 :5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not and it shall be given to him." This simply means that when ever we are trying to find out certain facts, the best place to go is the bible.
1. Divine Leadership Or Guidance
Exodus 3:2 - Moses by the burning bush: Here we saw how Moses was attracted by the flame of the fire in the bush. He stopped to look and heard the voice of the Lord telling him what he should do. As a youth, you may have had your interest aroused by seeing people in certain profession. Have you ever stopped to think whether the Lord is leading you towards such direction? As a student, which are the subjects that naturally appeal to you? What are the ones that do not appeal to you, but are very necessary for your academic progress? Are you prepared to work hard in order to over come any seeming difficulty? Remember, Isaac Pitman said that to get gold you must dig deeper, for gold is not gotten on the surface of the earth. So hard work is it.
2. Biological Influence:
There are certain professions that seemingly run in a family, e.g. Law, Accountancy, Medicine, even Priesthood, etc. Your family background could influence your calling. There are some families that are notable for one profession or the other. You notice that in such family, almost every body is doing something relating to a particular profession. For instance, the Levites were a tribe of priests; see Num. 8:11, Jos. 18:7,
3. Peer Pressure or Influence:
The relationships or associations you keep could influence your purpose. That is why people talk about the law of homogenous compatibility, simply put, birds of the same feather, flock together. Even the books you read, the programs you either watch or listen to can affect your purpose.
4. Personal Trait:
This has to do with your natural inborn character. Your natural likes or dislikes. All of these are pointers to one's purpose.
OPPOSITION TO PURPOSE
1. Curses / Enchantments: Curse, with reference to our subject, means a word or phrase that has some evil powers to make something bad happen, while enchantment means a state of being under some demonic influence or force. Num. 23:23 "Surely there is no enchantment against Jacob, neither is there any divination against Israel ... " With the power of curse or enchantment, somebody or even a whole family or nation could have their purpose or destiny overturned or even exchanged as was about happening in the place we just read.
Even names people bear could affect their purpose in life please see 1Chronicles 4:9 And Jabez was more honorable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow." Here was a boy honoured by God, but his mother spoilt
his purpose through an evil name.
2. Vacillation - Indecision: This happens when we fail to weigh the alternatives or consider the possibilities. Get tough with yourself. Weigh the pros and cons, write down all the possibilities and make decisions. Trying to do something and failing is better than trying to do nothing.
3. Dawdling - Drifting, Daydreaming, and Dilly-dallying: This is a failure to keep your goals clearly in mind and make them a priority. See be ready to drive yourself hard, do not be afraid of challenges.
4. Switching - Starting one project and getting diverted to another one half-way through. Again, you have lost the focus of your goals and plan. Do not let yourself be satisfied until the desired goal is achieved
5. Acquiescing - The inability to say no. This can be caused by the desire to please other people, guilt, timidity, lack of self-discipline. You must learn that you do not have to please everyone. When someone makes a request of you that delaysor interferes with your plans, politely but firmly refuse.
6. Rehashing - Dwelling on past accomplishments, problems or failures. Here you have an unwillingness to deal with the present. Let the past go. Concentrate on what i§ and what can be. You do not live in the past. You live in the present. The future will become the present faster than you think.
7. Wheel-Spinning - Trying to do something so you will feel busy, but accomplishing little or nothing. This usually happens when you let yourself get busy with a career because some body is doing well in that field! but not necessarily you're calling. You will end up
wasting your time. At the end you find yourself doing so many things at the same time just to assuage your feeling of guilt.
8. Perfectionism - Unwillingness to compromise; unrealistic expectations. When we set our goals too high, we run the risk of becoming intimidated by our own goals. Learn to strive for excellence, not perfection. You want to be sure to set realistic, not idealistic goals.
God bless you
- << Prev